Resiniferatoxin administration protocol

I’m looking for a resiniferatoxin administration protocol for adult animals to chemically desensitize peptidergic neurons. Any pluses, minuses, or caveats (for administration or publication using this procedure) are greatly appreciated as I have only read about it and never performed this procedure before.

Thanks all!

Hi @Taves
Thanks for the question. I’ve asked some colleagues to jump in the discussion. But I had this paper in my library that goes into detail for RTX ablation, but in rats.

This one is in the mouse with direct injections or intrathecal.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1044743109002243

Good luck!

Hi Taves,
Resiniferatoxin (RTX, 1 mg/kg body weight) was given daily by I.P. totally for 3 days, and mice were sacrificed 24 h after the last injection. It work well on mice. Good luck!

@Taves Here is another protocol that seems to be exactly what you’re looking for. It’s from @YongHo too.

RTX Ablation of Peripheral TRPV1-Expressing Neurons: Three- to four-week-old mice were intraperitoneally injected with RTX dissolved in a mixture of 10% Tween-80 and 10% ethanol in normal saline or vehicle alone under isoflurane anesthesia as a single bolus in two injections of 50 μg/kg and 150 μg/kg on days 1 and 2, consecutively. RTX-treated mice were used in experiments at least 7 days after final RTX injection.

TRPV1 in GABAergic Interneurons Mediates Neuropathic Mechanical Allodynia and Disinhibition of the Nociceptive Circuitry in the Spinal Cord