Which mouse model most consistently produces pain-like hypersensitivity in your hands?

In your hands, which mouse model of pain most reliably and strongly produces hypersensitivity in nociceptive assays for you? You can specify which assays in the replies below.

Not all models work for all researchers at all places.

For me, if I had to pick one of these, I would say SNI produces the most consistent, reproducible and strong hypersensitivity. Most all animals are very sensitive and the surgery is pretty easy to do correctly.

And which doesn’t? Which of these models hasn’t produced the expected results? For me, CFA and Chemotherapy have been lackluster.

• Complete Freund’s Adjuvant (CFA)
  • Carrageenan
  • Paclitaxel Chemotherapy
  • Spared Nerve Injury
  • Chronic Constriction Injury
  • Plantar Incision
  • Capsaicin (2º hyperalgesia)
  • Formalin (2º hyperalgesia)
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

@liz @tberta @thicunha @SamineniV @gcorder @ShanTan @esypek @CandlerPaige @jmogil

Maybe it’s the chemo dosage? I found high dosage produces very consistent hypersensitivity and lasted for weeks.

for us SNI is also the most reliably model. We also have good results with Paclitaxel using the dose of 8 mg/Kg/each dose four injections each other day. It may last 40 days. We were able to see heat hypoalgesia with this dose.

1 Like

SNI definitely the most reliable. CFA and Formalin are also good, but I’ve had troubles with CFA in producing robust allodynia.

1 Like

What kinds of troubles with CFA?

Like this?

In our hands, CFA produces robust allodynia (von Frey filaments) in both rats and mice. However, I heard that sometimes CFA does not produce a large effect. This may be dependent of the batch of CFA used. The inflammatory component of CFA may vary from batch to batch or may become inactive over time. It may be important to store the CFA in aliquots.

1 Like