Population datasets of neural activity in the DRG/dorsal horn?

Hi all, I’m a newcomer to the pain field. Really loving this forum - incredible resource for getting oriented.

I’m interested in trying to put together a quantitative model of the circuits/cell-types in the mouse dorsal horn and DRG. Wanted to ask if anybody knows of any publicly available datasets recording neural activity in the DRG/dorsal horn. Ideally populations of neurons (either extracellular ephys or calcium imaging), but single unit recordings could be useful too! Or alternatively, is there anybody out there with datasets that they’d be open to sharing?

I’ve seen some pretty nice looking imaging papers:
Genetic identification of C fibres that detect massage-like stroking of hairy skin in vivo
The coding of cutaneous temperature in the spinal cord
In vivo characterization of distinct modality-specific subsets of somatosensory neurons using GCaMP
Imaging large-scale cellular activity in spinal cord of freely behaving mice
Sensory Afferents Use Different Coding Strategies for Heat and Cold
Coding and Plasticity in the Mammalian Thermosensory System
Coupled Activation of Primary Sensory Neurons Contributes to Chronic Pain

I’m starting to reach out to the authors of these works. But looking for suggestions for things I might have missed. I know this kind of data is always hard-won and represent a ton of work from many scientists, so would be really great to try to extract as much from it as possible.

As a side note- there seems to be relatively little in the way of extracellular ephys from silicon laminar probes - anybody know why this is?

Alex

1 Like

@alex_naka Thanks so much for posting your excellent question and telling us about your exciting work. I think you’ve already found all the datasets that we have for DRG/DH with calcium imaging. I think there isn’t as much extracellular ephys because the DRG, and to a lesser extent, the DH, are hard to access in vivo, especially in mouse. There is some in rat. I was interested in extracellular recordings in DH a while back. You may find some insight in this discussion:

Please keep us posted on your progress. Have you thought about using the Neuropixels technology for DH recording?

Will do! And yes, planning to bring in Neuropixels!